Which external hard drive to get?

gone4aburton

Registered
Hi Gang.

This may have been covered before but there may well be some new ideas...

Basically I need to get an external HD as my new Powerbook is already reching capacity (I'm a photographer). I need a really robust external HD to store all my work on, one that has the least chance of burning out. My livelihood will be stored on it.

Obviously I'd like to go large, but cost is an issue as well. I'd rather get the more robust and smaller one than go large and volatile.

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

USB is cheaper, and people will say that it's faster, but the truth is that for sustained data transferring (big files), firewire is faster. DON'T get USB, no matter how cheap it is.

been disscused already. http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268382
imo, usb2 works plenty fast on my g4, and thats with a home built drive. that was coping 20gigs of mp3s from the extrnal drive to the internal drive (my pc crashed, i needed the mp3s to dj a wedding, so i got the encloser and put the drive in it and copyed the music over). if they are just photos, not movies, usb 2 will be just fine. and cost wise, building it is the best.

Thanks for the replies. I should have said - in order to avoid the USB Vs Firewire debate - I'm not going to go down the USB route. USB peripherals have done me over in the past.

I'm really after your opinions on the most stable and reliable external HDs....

Thanks.

Back