Which fonts can I throw out?

Marton

Registered
I want to control all my fonts, and I noticed that some fonts are so installed that you can only delete them as root user. I'd like to get rid of all the unnecessary fonts and put them where they belong, in a Suitcase folder. Before I do an irremediable stupidity and throw out important fonts, can anybody tell me which fonts are absolutely necessary to the normal operation of OS X?

My guess is: Lucida, Times, Verdana, Geneva (Verdana since a lot of websites use this nice little font that almost everybody has)

Thanks!

I think there are some useless fonts in the Library/fonts root directory, surely I will never use this one:

???????? Pro W4.otf

This is a set of 6 fonts which take about 60 mo of space! From their character, I judge them to be japanese fonts or the like. I'd love to throw them out (maybe burn them on a cd, but that's it...)

Can I?

This not true,
you can delete fonts from /System/Library/Fonts. -I did it !!!
And Mac OS X works fine with a lot less fnts there...
I recomend you leave :
Courier.dfont
Geneva.dfont
Helvetica.dfont
Keyboard.dfont "This one appears to be something else tan a font ??? -do not try to delete it--"
LastResort.dfont "This one appears to be something else tan a font ??? -do not try to delete it--"
LucidaGrande.dfont
Monaco.dfont
Times.dfont

But I guess you might as well delete Times, and Monaco...
If You cannot restart, reboot on your OS 9 , and put those fonts back ...

Those tryes might corrupt your system...
if it appears to be really slow, :-( Reinstzall mac OS X

But I did get all fonts away apart those listed, and It works fine, then you can use suitcase to manage non OS fonts....

ladislav, you fool! Don't EVER remove files from /System. Feel free to add files, if you think you know what the change will mean, and to modify files inside /System if you're SURE you know what the change will mean AND you make a backup (because, in reality, you never KNOW until the modified system is up and running again).

DO NOT tell Marton to do something that worked (maybe) for you--his system might not respond the same way. UNIX is all about rule-based approaches, not absolute ones.

Marton: do not delete any files from/System!

Ok, I won't remove anything. But why should I embarras myself all those stupid fonts? I mean, Japanese Fonts? Comic? Didot? MarkerFelt? Brush? There 38 fonts in this folder. It's really annoying when selecting a font to go through this meaningless list.

Anyways, that was my rant of the day. ;-]

Font Reserve has a simple mouse click to remove unnecessary system fonts. The only required fonts for a OS X installation (English language) are:

AquaKanaBold
AquaKanaRegular
Courier
Geneva
Helvetica
Keyboard
LastResort
LucidaGrande
Monaco

I would think you can trust Font Reserve to know what can, and what cannot be safely removed.

Using Font Reserve to delete non-essential fonts from /System: good idea!
Using the Finder to do the same: bad idea!

IIt is just a matter of attitude,
i m the bad guy, i don't respect the undocumented "laws"...
I think my computer should not have ANY undocumented Black area...
If it makes sense, make your point, is my attitude...

So, if anybody else feels that way...
My CPU works fine without those :
AquaKanaBold
AquaKanaRegular
And I wonder what are those things anyway ? fonts ? foreign Fonts ?

In MAC OS 9 i could manage my OS exactly as I wanted too, tuning it to its best For a dedicated task... So when Something went wrong, i could figure it out...
I think that this is what made MAC a great platform...

I do not think Mac users should be different on OSX

Anyway, we made good progress ...
No we can remove fonts from the root library, with font reserve or the finder, you chose your way of action...

Courier
Geneva
Helvetica
LucidaGrande
Monaco
/and/
Keyboard (witch is not a font)
LastResort (witch is not a font)

AquaKanaBold (??? it seems to work without it on MAC OSX English + French )
AquaKanaRegular (??? it seems to work without it on MAC OSX English + French ):cool:

Back