Why does the Desktop Image get compressed?

macmastah

Registered
Hi,

Why is it that my desktop image gets compressed to fit to the size of my powerbook's screen? It started doing this out of the blue today, and i couldnt figure out why. I know there is a way to stop it from fitting the image to the screen, just cant remember how. Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks

If you're using one of the Apple-supplied desktop pictures, they sometimes include similar desktop pictures in different sizes to fit different resolution/aspect ratio screens... could it somehow have gotten changed in the System Preferences or something to a similar design but different size?

Hmm, macmastah is just asking how not to have the desktop pic scaled to the screen.

Open up the Desktop & Screensaver preference pane (Desktop preference pane if you're still using 10.2 or earlier), and in the popup change it from Stretch to fill screen to Fill screen (or whichever of the other options you prefer).

Darkshadow: can you post a screenshot of your Desktop & Screensaver preference pane? Mine doesn't have those options, but I noticed that Apple sometimes includes one desktop pic for 4:3 displays and another identical one for widescreen displays... like the dewdrop and ladybug pictures under the "Nature" folder.

Edit: I just noticed that I only get the Fill Screen/Strech/Center/Tile popup if I select a photo from my iPhoto library -- the popup is not available (doesn't even show up) if I select one of the Apple-included desktop pictures.

Darkshadow said:
Hmm, macmastah is just asking how not to have the desktop pic scaled to the screen.

Open up the Desktop & Screensaver preference pane (Desktop preference pane if you're still using 10.2 or earlier), and in the popup change it from Stretch to fill screen to Fill screen (or whichever of the other options you prefer).

On my laptop, these options arent available, although on my powermac G4 they are. How can I get them back on my powerbook?

I have a Powerbook G4, and I can only get the preferences on my own wallpapers, not the Apple ones.

Hmm, I was not aware that you couldn't adjust the Apple supplied pictures. That's odd; I'd think the setting would be global rather than just pertain to your own pictures.

However, if you select one of your own pictures, then change this setting, it also applies to the Apple ones. So, while it's a little annoying to have to temporarily change the desktop picture, you can still change this setting for the Apple supplied pictures. I wonder what Apple was thinking with this one...?

Back