Why is OS X trying to connect to internet?

west

Registered
I have an iBook and when trying to change the energy saver settings the computer began trying to connect to the internet. Upon clicking on the lock to authenticate to make these changes, the system "bogged down." The console showed an error message indicating that the connection to "pasteboardserver" failed, and there were also error messages indicating that a pppd connect script had failed. A window pops up reporting an internet connection failure. This behavior goes on for ten to fifteen minutes. It gets in the way of trying to do other things or of completing the changes to the energy saver.

In searching for information on this I did find that others have encountered this problem, but I couldn't find a solution. One thread indicated it was related to Office v.X. I don't have that installed.

Is there something else going on here? Is this a bug, or a virus?

Thanks,
west

check your preferences for your time - are you using a server to set your clock?

Thank you for replying.

I checked the Internet time setting, it had not occurred to me to even consider that. It is not set, so it should be relying on it's own clock, unless there is a bug somewhere.y

"curioser and curioser" said Alice.

west.

ok, rule out clock idea. i assume you don't have any email checkers or anything like that on your mac-chine. mail.app would need to be launched to do checking. do you have tcp set for 'launch only when needed'? are you running any kind of software firewall like ipnetsentry?

i think everybody must get the pasteboard server error. i know it shows up for me. one problem i might have in helping much is that i have a dhcp connection thru a router so i never know when i am connected or not. mac-chine always responds like a static dns even though it is dynamic. i switched to this before i switched to osx.

in system preferences does seem like a strange place to trigger a connection if it's not for a time server.:confused:

Back