WiFi Securty

Rhisiart

Registered
I currently have an ethernet router. I want to purchase a WiFi router so I can have internet access throughout my home.

I live in a modern mid-terrace house. How secure can a WiFi internet connection be, or what do I need to consider to make it secure?

Wifi is obviously less secure than a wired network but you should be okay with the right protection.

You should look for a router with WPA2 passwording and MAC address filtering (both should be standard in most newish routers).
WPA2 is basically the method of encryption of the password to join your network making it harder for people to force their way into your network. MAC address filtering is just another parameter to block non authorised computers connecting to your network.

Im sure someone else will post now to correct my mistakes.

Thank you both. Your replies have put my mind at rest and have given me some good suggestions.

Excellent.

WPA is good only if you use a good password. Someone can still guess your password or use a dictionary attack using common words to try and get into your network. For example, the password "goawayhackers" could be guessed eventually but a longer and more random password would not be easily broken.

Go to http://www.grc.com/passwords to get a random password. Save it in a file somewhere or write it down and that's as secure as you can get today with wireless without using VPN.

WPA is good only if you use a good password. Someone can still guess your password or use a dictionary attack using common words to try and get into your network. For example, the password "goawayhackers" could be guessed eventually but a longer and more random password would not be easily broken.

Go to http://www.grc.com/passwords to get a random password. Save it in a file somewhere or write it down and that's as secure as you can get today with wireless without using VPN.

Well, I did mention to use a non-dictionary password that was long and strong (that just sounds so wrong, but whatever :p) along with a bunch of other solutions.

To aid in the security of your password include a symbol from the number keys, which requires a shift, to enter. Such as ( + & $) etc. These symbols make it harder for a hacker to crack your password.

Back