will Apple ever release a FireWire DVD-RW?

themacko

Barking at the moon.
I was pretty happy when I heard OWC was offering an external DVD burner that was compatable with iDVD, however Apple made them stop selling the drive. Do you think Apple will ever (as in, sometime within the next year or two) start selling a FireWire DVD burner that will be compatable with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, etc?

Originally posted by themacko : Apple made them stop selling the drive.
Something sounds rather fishy about this.. I can't see why Apple would make them stop selling them. That would be like Apple making everyone stop selling CD-RW drives because Apple sells them in their machines as well. There must be more to it than that..

Well OWC would ship patch or software thing that would allow the drive to work with iDVD. I don't think Apple had a problem with the drive necessarily, but they didn't want the software to ship that allowed the drive to work with iDVD.

that's cause Apple only allows iDVD to work with their Drives, you only get it if you pay THEM for a drive, otherwise just buy DVD studio pro :rolleyes:

Makes sense.. and personally, I can't blame them.. afterall, the only way you get iDVD is to buy a Superdrive equiped Mac..

Back