Will there be free upgrade to Panther for G5 owners?

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
The latest rumors I hear for a Panther release have been pointing to mid-September, for the FrenchFest, and I wonder if new G5 owners will be provided a free upgrade to 10.3? Or if any user, who has purchased a machine within a certain amount of time before 10.3 is released, will receive a free copy.

What was the policy with 10.2?

Whether the upgrade is free or if we have to pay will make a difference between when we purchase a set of G5s...

Yes, that's what I was leading to =)

I'm wondering if I'll be able to upgrade for free, the manager at the store I just bought from had no clue...

A coupon? You mean the ones included in the Jaguar box? You mean the ones that Apple has been including in ALL retail system software boxes since God-knows-when? Those aren't coupons. Those are proofs or purchase designed to look like coupons. They make no explicit or implicit guarantees that you'll get anything for free/discount. All they do is prove you purchased the software, and if Apple wants you to provide one to get a discount, you do so. If they don't provide a discount or some offer for those "coupons," then they're worth nothing.

Technically speaking there's no reason why brand new G4 Macs in stores after Panther is released can't come with Panther preinstalled. I think it would be more of a market strategy for Apple to only ship Panther preinstalled on G5 systems. G4 owners will have to buy the Panther upgrade seperately. The idea being, if you want Panther preinstalled, you gotta get a G5 system, a method to push more G5 sales.

Except for with laptops. No matter how much we scream for G5 laptops, Apple will most likely stick with G4...can't laptoppers get Panther preinstalled?

Since WWDC, it's been known that Panther will be a free upgrade for people who've bought a G5 system.

how is this known? i've not heard nor seen anything to that account. can you back it up?

Originally posted by cf25
how is this known? i've not heard nor seen anything to that account. can you back it up?
Yeah, go watch Steve Jobs keynote speech.

EDIT:
Well I can't find a published source. So if I'm wrong then G5 owners will have to pay up $129 for Panther.

Sorry guys, I've watched the keynote (was there when it happened), and Jobs said nothing about G5 owners getting Panther free. Nobody is getting Panther free unless Apple decides to continue the "X for Teachers" program. Apple will offer Panther via the Up-To-Date program, but you are only eligible for that if -

1) You bought your Mac the day of/after Panther's announced shipping date
2) You bought OS X the day of/after Panther's announced shipping date.

Since there has not been a precise shipping date announced yet, no one knows who will be eligible for Panther via the Up-To-Date program. Of course, the Up-To-Date program means you shell out $19.95 for shipping and handling.

I edited my last post and I will reiterate again: I can't find a publish source to back my first statement that people who bought G5s now will get a free upgrade to Panther. I just remember reading/hearing it and thinking to myself "yeah that makes sense".

So, sorry for any confusion.

Back