Windows Apps on OS X...minus Windows OS

Man now all that would have to happen is slip in an option to make it look like OSX and then we have a fully successful port graphicly too... HAAAA.

That would so give us bragging rights... "Oh yeah? Well my Mac can run Windows software, too—without an emulator! So :p!"

unless im mistaken, this project can't work. the way i understand it, Wine is just an implementation of the win32 api, and still runs on the x86 processor, but under linux. how is it going to run on a ppc processor? i can't see how this will work at all.

It sounds like it will work, but you'll only be able to run programs that you can recompile for the PPC processor - which makes sense really as WINE isn't an emulator so doesn't emulate the x86 cpu.

I guess that's why all the apps they show are wine apps and not standard windows ones.

But still, it'll be good if there a windows open-source app that you want to run on your mac without porting it first.

OR you'd have to add an emulation layer all the same, which would kind of defeat the purpose. Let's just say it's a nice thought, a nice hobby for some - and maybe, just maybe parts of it will prove useful in, say, 2009.

If you've followed the WINE project, you know that it took them quite a while to become useful. And that was on a platform with much more interested and capable people behind it. I'm not saying Mac people aren't capable, but most of them just aren't interested so much in developing free software for free and fun. ;-)

If you really _need_ to run some Windows applications, VPC is the way to go. From a user's perspective, that's a nice option. The other option: Buy a cheap PC and a monitor switch box. The third option, of course, is to ignore the bad, bad Windows world.

Fryke is right. Wine has been in development for years, and it doesn't run well. In the Linux world, the best implemnetion of stuff is by Codeweavers, who has a special version of Wine that is able to run all of the Apps from Office, as well as Adobe Photoshop. They also have something that lets Windows Plugins work inside of Linux browsers.

Even so, something like this would help me, as a developer. I could test a Win32 port of the app on my laptop natively to an extent and catch the major glitches before trying it on a true Win32 environment.

I half remember that there was a project to wed Wine with Bochs to allow windows program to run on Alphas. A similar approach may work on OS X. It would be slower than snot but it may work... If you spend some quality time with google you may find something ...

yuck... even run on quartz extreme... the windows apps still look like shit... ehehehe... im gonna stick with OSX apps then... bad windows...

Back