Windows File Sharing Refused: Switcher needs help

don_ie

Registered
Well it worked at first. In Systems Preferences, I selected Sharing|Windows File Sharing and like magic, I could connect to my home wireless network running Windows 98

Yes, I'm a SWITCHER

Then I got to clever and started fooling around, exploring my Powerbook. Now it is impossible to select the checkbox for Windows File Sharing. It switches off immediately!!

I'm only guessing, but I think the problem is connected with my changing Computer Name and Rendevous Name in the same Sharing window. They used to say "Don's Computer" and I changed it to "Powerbook".

So change it back you say! I'd love to, but Rendevous Name will only accept a name without spaces!

Of course, the problem may be due to something else. Can anybody help ?

Thanks in advance

Don

try a vga to composite video adapter. there is a good one called iViewDV (look it up on Yahoo!) I use this at school for presentations and it seems to work pretty good. but you have to set your resolution to 800x600 for it to work right. there are 3rd party apps that will play quick time files full screen, some free, some not. hope this helps.

iMac G3 600 mhz
40gb Panther

cbrooks3 said:
try a vga to composite video adapter. there is a good one called iViewDV (look it up on Yahoo!) I use this at school for presentations and it seems to work pretty good. but you have to set your resolution to 800x600 for it to work right. there are 3rd party apps that will play quick time files full screen, some free, some not. hope this helps.

???? :confused:

Don, we need some more info. What os are you using on your mac? Does ping work between the two machines?

Zammy-Sam said:
???? :confused:

Don, we need some more info. What os are you using on your mac? Does ping work between the two machines?

Hi Zammy-Sam

Here’s the situation:

I have a network consisting of a hub and 4 windows machines set up on Ips 10.10.0.1 thru 10.10.0.5
My Powerbook is running OS X 10.2.8
In the Network TCP/IP pane of System Preferences, I have the following settings (which did work):
Using DHCP with manual IP address: 10.10.0.6
DNS Servers has 10.10.0.2 (This is the machine which has a modem which it shares with the other PCs)
In the Network Airport pane of System Preferences I have set Join a specific network to WORKGROUP which is the one used by the PCs

Now, in the Finder I should be able to click Go|ConnectToServer and it should find the WORKGROUP. It finds nothing. If I enter 10.10.0.2 as the address, I get an error=-36
I cannot ping and 10.10.0.x
I believe this is because I have a problem in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. Here I should check Windows File Sharing. It won’t let me! Although the checkbox is not greyed out, it doesn’t accept my check. The check disappears immediately.

All these setting worked a couple of weeks ago.

Don

Hmmm, ok...
I assume the networking between the windoze machines works just fine. I assume you have shared folders on each system and I assume there is no firewall installed on any of those machines (beside your DNS Server which should have the firewill working with your dial-up connection).
This concludes, that something is wrong with the connection between your pbook and the lan. Either it's hardware related or software.
Let's see...
First of all: ping should always work. No matter if you have windows filesharing on off or whatever. Make sure there is no firewall activated on your 10.2.8 (am not sure if this could cause anything, but who knows).
First idea: Change the cable of your pbook (I suppose it's ethernet connected to the hub) maybe even the port. If that doesn't change a thing, than unplug on windoze machine and use that ones ip. And always try to ping.
Btw, can you make a screenshot of your sharin-window in 10.2.8?

Zammy-Sam said:
Hmmm, ok...
I assume the networking between the windoze machines works just fine. I assume you have shared folders on each system and I assume there is no firewall installed on any of those machines (beside your DNS Server which should have the firewill working with your dial-up connection).
This concludes, that something is wrong with the connection between your pbook and the lan....
First of all: ping should always work. No matter if you have windows filesharing on off or whatever.
First idea: Change the cable of your pbook, maybe even the port. And always try to ping.
Btw, can you make a screenshot of your sharin-window in 10.2.8?

I have shared folders and no firewall.
I think I may not be making myself well understood.
I have a WIRELESS network. No cables! I'm trying to connect using Airport. And it worked at first! I seems to have messed up parameters somewhere. I think it may be my rendezvous name.

I attach relevant screenshots. The problem is marked in yellow. I am unable to set this checkbox; i.e. it sets and resets immediately after.

Thank you for your interest in this problem.

Attachments

• Network pane TCPIP.jpg
    Network pane TCPIP.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Sharing pane.jpg
    Sharing pane.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Network pane airport.jpg
    Network pane airport.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 5
Hey, Don.

Sorry for this very briefly post. Gotta go soon.
Did or does ping work between the machines?
And you should click on the lock down there. Looks like you locked the adjustments...

Back