Windows Networking

Dris

The Benevolent
I'm currently making an erraneous attempt to network my friend's PC to my Mac (with Jaguar) and get them using the Internet at the same time. The cable modem, Mac, and PC are all connected to a hub. Unfortunately, it seems that the first computer to start up is the only one that can use the Internet...I've attempted messing with the Internet Sharing option in the Sharing preferences pane, but it doesn't seem to have an effect. Anyone got any advice? Thanks in advance.

Could you clarify for us how you've connected the Mac, PC, Cable Modem and Hub?
How is the cable modem configured when it does work? Do the Mac and PC ping each-other OK?
If you can get the Mac online via the modem, and turn on Internet Sharing, then you will still need to "point" the PC to the Mac's address to use as a gateway.

Well, we've got an Ethernet hub here. There are four Ethernet ports on the hub. One is labeled "Link" which is where the modem is connected. The other three are for the computers, only two of which we're using (one for the Mac, the other for the PC). I'm not sure whether they ping each other or not...Do you use the Network Utility to do that, entering the PC's IP? I do remember that when we started up the PC first so it could connect to the Internet, the PC wouldn't even show up when using the "Connect To Server" command from the Finder. It does show up when we start the Mac up first. How would one go about "pointing" the PC to the Mac? Thanks again.

Using connect to server will recognise the PC in Windows/Samba networking, which is its own little subset of the whole networking picture. Don't get hung up on this, all it means is the Mac is establishing the Windows network, which is why if the mac is started first the PC will appear.

What you do need to focus on is the broader picture of IP networking, and that means PINGing the machines to ensure that they're talking to each other. In windows, there is a command "ping" which can be entered at the DOS prompt and works much the same as the Unix command. On the Mac, you can use the ping command from the command line, or use ping from the Network Utility.

If you are going to use the mac as an internet sharing gateway, you'll need to tell the PC where to find the mac. I would have thought the PC could access the network via the modem, but lets be honest: these things are just wierd.

I'm hoping someone with a little more experience with hubs and broadband modems can help us out on this one!

easy solution is a hardware gateway, a low-end router type thingy that costs around $100 at circuit city. that has dhcp, just about plug it in and you're good to go.

next best is a software gateway or proxy server software. I have been happy with analogX on the wintel machine. Vicomsoft has a mac solution, but I haven't used it, since majority rules. ;^)

(btw both are freeware, should be available at versiontracker or at vicomsoft)

install either one according to the instructions. then the two machines need to be given ip addresses within the assigned intranet standards. make one 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.2. set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 on both machines. make sure the proxy software uses the same address. it may default to another range of intranet addresses.

Mac - open system preferences and the network pane

Win?? - use the properties of the tcp/ip protocol in the network control panel. how to get there depends on which version of windows you're stuck with.

Last step also depends on the version of the software you are using. you need to set your browser to use a proxy server, set it (on both machines if i recollect correct) to the ip address of the computer that runs the proxy software. set the port to 8080 and away you go

good luck

sandy

From Dealmac.com

Linksys 4-port cable/DSL router for $50 shipped after rebate__5:00 am
A reader notes that Amazon.com offers the Linksys Etherfast BEFSR41 4-port cable/DSL router for $59.99 before a $10 mail-in rebate, $49.99 after. With free shipping, that's $7 off our last mention and the lowest total price we know to be available. Rebate ends February 28, 2003.__

You just use a proxy server off of one of the machines, AnalogX is a free windows based proxy, so when it connects to the net it proxys it for any other machines on the network. I use it wirlessly from my pc, which has the permanent connection to my ibook over wireless. Theres heaps of free unix based proxys as well but you will have to get into command line.

does anyone have a little knowhow about windows user setup? On my friends pc (throught rendezvous in connect to server)
there is
- HOME
- Local
- WORKGROUP
HOME has the pc in it, called GLEN (smb://192.168.2.12). When I say connect I get the
-SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authentication
-Enter Username and password for GLEN:
- Workgroup/Domain = HOME
- Username and pass should be Default/nothing, but i when i connect with HOME/Default/() i get an error -50 and cant connect. I can ping 192.168.2.12 just fine from terminal but cant connect. When the pc boots up i get a box calling the user Default and password is nothing, it logs on just fine.

Any help would be great, thanks alot !

You will need to enter credentials most likely, but depending on how the windows mahicne was setup, it most likley is configured to autologin to aprticular user, much like OSX will by default. It sounds like you are getting a connection and challenge reponse though.

What version of Windows is it?

Back