Windows Sharing Name

CJG86

Registered
I turned on windows sharing on my iBook and when i go look in the workgroup on a pc the name is "Samba 2.2.3a" How can i change that name.

I have been looking around and still cant figure out where this is changed. if any one knows how to change this please share it with me.

Thanks Chris

if you are trying to change the workgroup name go to
applications->utilities->directory access

click the padlock, then double click smb

if you are talking about the actual name of your computer i am fairly sure it is just the rendezvous name.

Originally posted by profx
if you are trying to change the workgroup name go to
applications->utilities->directory access

click the padlock, then double click smb

if you are talking about the actual name of your computer i am fairly sure it is just the rendezvous name.

This is the workgroup that profx is talking about. Going to Directory Access is just a quick GUI way to edit your Workgroup.

What you are seeing is the server string setting in the smb.conf. Its default is "Samba %v" the %v means version.

And then it displays the name that you have entered under the Sharing Pane. The quick fix for this is to just edit your smb.conf under /etc/.
You should add this to get what you want to see.
NOTE: These all go under the [global] options

Just open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Termain.app) and edit /etc/smb.conf (you can use vi or pico)
vi is a little tricky if you are not used to it so I suggest pico.
$sudo pico /etc/smb.conf
Something like that will do.

[global]
netbios name = ComputerNameHere
server string = ""

This sets the NetBIOS name to the name you want (this should be the same as your Rendezvous and computer name under the Sharing Pane in System Prefs. It then sets the server string to null so it won’t display that before the name. I have tested this and it works fine in OS 10.2.6. If there is a better way to do it please let me know.

This will give you the nice look that you want under the browsing network of Windows.
Note that the name is already correct under the Sharing Pane. You can test this by Win+R then type in \\ComputerNameHere.
It's just showing you the server string as well under Windows.

Hope that helps,
\\\\ bootleg

Back