Wireless nightmare

Macmini2.0

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I am having a bear of an issue with my new mac mini. I can not get it to connect to the internet wirelessly. I have a netgear WPN824 router and have reconfigured it way to many time over the past week trying to connect. Thinking my router might be the issue I bought an airport extreme. Well, I now have a wireless signal but still no internet connectivity. It keeps saying my IP address is wrong on my device. So I thought connecting directly to the AP Extreme might help the mini get the right info. No such luck and not even internet access via a hard line. Now I have gone back to my old router because at least I can get online via a cable with it. I called my cable company and they were no help and basically said my signal was good. Please help...

Here's what you need to do. Go to
/Library/Preferences and look for SystemConfiguration folder. Move that folder to the desktop.
2. Restart the machine
3. Go to network in system preferences and create a new location
4. Click Automatic on the top and edit location, give it a name then press done then Apply
5. Click airport on the side, toggle the "turn airport off" off and on. It must be ON. so your just playing with it
6. select the SSID or the network name and enter the WPA or WEP password

it may also help if you reset the router. btw is that a modem/router? or just a router?if its just a router. Hardwire the mini directly to the modem and test for internet. If its modem/router ignore this last instruction

Ok Guys and Gals,

The plot thickens... so I bought an airport extreme thinking it would solve my problems. Surprise it has made my issues worse. With the AE I can't even access the internet via an ethernet cable directly connected. So I finally broke down and took all my stuff to the apple store for them to work on. Needless to say they were on the net in 30 seconds. They set up the network and everything without a glitch. Now I take everything home with high expectations. Plug everything in and poof the same problem. No internet, bars only show when the mini is within a few feet of the AE, and the AE keeps saying it is getting the wrong IP address. After seeing everything work at the store I can't help but think that it's the cable internet box causing the issue. Maybe it truly is sending out the wrong IP address!? On the flip side though, my netgear router hooks up to it flawlessly and all my computers connect to the internet. Even the mini does when it's located within a few feet of the AE router. Any suggestions? THANK YOU!

Well, after several weeks of hair pulling, anger, frustration, and internet research I finally resolved the nightmare. Tonight after being completely let down and frustrated after the mini didn't work again I hit the internet one more time. This time however I focused on the weak reception . Then I found an article by a guy with the same exact problem. Someone asked if the case had been opened and he said yes. So I looked at mine too (purchased used) and sure enough it had marks from being opened. Needless to say, once I opened the case I discovered that the main antenna was not connected and that the mini was missing several screws. Really upsetting! Anyways, I boot it up and it instantly connects to the internet. The computer has 3 bars at the location I want it too and I am happy. Thanks for the response Kisuke3!

Back