Won't read DVD's

Paul C

Registered
My CDRW/DVD drive has decided that it won't read DVD's it reads CD perfectly fine but DVD it tries to read for about a min and then decides to spit it out, i've tried this with DVD's that I know work fine but it's having non of it! :(

Help Please

What OS are you using?

Paul C said:
My CDRW/DVD drive has decided that it won't read DVD's it reads CD perfectly fine but DVD it tries to read for about a min and then decides to spit it out, i've tried this with DVD's that I know work fine but it's having non of it! :(

Help Please

I am having a similar problem with my superdrive. Basically I think it is dead/dying and that I have to get a new one. I hope for your sake it's not the same as mine as you have a laptop.

Sorry I can't help.

Eddie

Need to know what OS and what program you are using to read it. Check the DVD to make sure there is no fingerprints, dust, etc on it. Does the DVD work in a regular DVD player?

What kind of DVDs are you trying to read? Movie DVDs or DVD-R / DVD+R?
Movie DVDs should work. Otherwise I would call Apple. Data DVDs might cause problems..

If the dvds are movies, are they bought from your continent (=right region code)?

Do you see the dvd anywhere on that time, e.g. in finder?

There are some movies that _aer_ weird. A friend loaned me a Star Ward movie that I wanted to see on an iMac. It just did not work - because it needed a Windows software to be viewed with, and of course there was no text in the dvd case telling it would not run on Macs. I saw it in finder, it showed just as a pile of windows files (.dlls, .exes etc) and was I pissed.. I was trying to find a customer care number or email address from Star Wars site just to tell them I did _not_ like that dvd nor did I have any intention to get to a windows machine to view it.

Back