WordX doesn't recognize old files

Yetsuh

Registered
Recently switched to OSX & WordX from OS9 & Word 5.0. I placed all the files (mostly Word docs) I wanted to keep on a Firewire hard-drive, installed OSX clean (wiped the G3 hardrive) and then moved them back to my new desktop.

Problem is WordX does not recognize them as .doc files and won't open them until I actually change each filename to <filename>.doc

Won't allow me to open them from the WordX pull-down, or ctrl-o from within the app.

Won't allow me launch the documents from the desktop and go through the "choose an application" process.

Won't allow me select WordX as the app through the Ctrl-I function and I had real hopes that through the Ctrl-I window I would be able to use the 'change all' function to make a global correction, nu such luck.

Do I really have to go through and change every filename? This OSX rookie has run out of ideas.

Thanks.

Yetsuh,

What about using a program like ABetterFinderRename? You can find it at MacUpdate or Versiontracker.

It lets you perform batch renames from the Finder. You could put your documents all in a folder, and then append the ".doc" filename in one fell swoop.

Doug

make sure you installed all the file conversion formats when you installed word. I know on pcs that only a few formats are installed as default, but if you do a custom, you can convert about anything.

If you have the office suite, look in the value pack addon that is on the cd. It will have more conversion types. So you dont have to reinstall wordx, just put the cd in, click on the add programs and go through and select all of the file conversion stuff. Should work after that.

Back