Workgroup manager

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
Anyone know what this workgroup manager is for which shows up every boot, and won't remember your settings?

You use Workgroup Manager to administer user, group, and computer accounts; work with managed client preferences for Mac OS X users; manage share points; and access the Inspector, which lets you work with Open Directory entries.

If you log in as an admin user (at least when on an OS X Server 10.2 box) it remembers your choice - otherwise not. At least on the one I set up! It also gives [me] spurious ¨You have insterted a disk with no volumes that Mac OS can read¨ [roughly quoting] errors for the non-admin account. Which is nice. Other wise works like a dream. Except for the printing, priviledge problems, won't make the tea...

Well, this is in 10.4 beta when you boot the computer, before logging in, it pops up asking whether to enable workgroup managment, and there's a checkbox to remember the setting, which doesn't actually save it.

After that, the computer auto logs in as it should, into the admin account.

maybe check where it's authenticating you to, using Directory Access (i think that's where it is..)

If the user is a member of multiple groups it will ask you which group you want to log in as. In 10.3 anyway.

I'm experiencing the same problem. It may be because it isn't reading or writing a preference file properly. While it is annoying it is something that will be relatively easy to fix. Hopefully it will be addressed soon.

Back