"XXX Girls, Girls Girls" (just kidding): Q regarding OS X features

GadgetLover

Senior Member & Tech Guru
OK, so now that I have your attention, I have two independet Questions:

1) Can any UNIX pro out there explain to me the meaning of the hidden files that seem to have the same pattern every where (look at my jpg so you know what I mean).. inside bin is another folder than has a bin and inside that is another bin and sbin and ....

2) Can I throw away those weird fonts that look like they might simply be a foreign language font? Do I need them??

Attachments

• chinesecharacters.jpg
    chinesecharacters.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 77
I don't think deleting the files would be really harmful (although you might want a second opinion ^.~) But why not just keep 'em? i mean, really - what'd they ever do to you?

Originally posted by OS X-ite
I don't think deleting the files would be really harmful (although you might want a second opinion ^.~) But why not just keep 'em? i mean, really - what'd they ever do to you?

They appear in font viewer utilities and get in the way -- its like webdings and dingbats only worse 'cuz I have no use for 'em.

Originally posted by phatsharpie
That your name for the JPEG is wrong... Those are Japanese characters.

Yeah, I eventually noticed that when I took a closer look in a WYSIWYG menu yesterday; but thank you for educating me nonetheless. I actually like learning differences between character sets -- like cyrilic etc (spelling), Hebrew, Arabic, etc.

my suspicion is that when you installed X you didn't customize it and took the default install. This installs a ton of localized settings, and it stands to reason that those would include fonts. I never have done this, I always customize the install and deselect them to save space so I can't be sure. But I think that's the case, and if so deleting them should be nothing to worry about.

Yeah, I actually booted up into OS 9 and deleted the files and rebooted into OS X. All is well at the moment; time will tell ....

Back