Apple DVD Player

Paul Forbes

Registered
Hi all, Does anyone know if it's possible to get Apple's DVD player to work with the PCI G4? My G4 can play DVD's fine using 3rd party viewers but I'm just wondering...!

I'm using the DVD player on my G3 with no problems. You shouldn't have a problem with a g4. Does it give you any errors when playing a dvd?

The only problems I have is compatability with the DVD player in 10.2.

I have some DVDs burnt on a PC from VHS videos that I had converted. They played under OS 9, they played under 10.1, but in 10.2 they just refuse to play.

Apple tech support was unhelpful saying that you cant expect Apple to make its software compatible with all the standards out there, which just didn't really do anything for me, since they used to play before Jag.

Anyway, VideoLAN under OS X does a good job playing these DVDs, so all is not lost.

Never had a problem with commercial DVDs though.

Andrew

I'm using VideoLAN and that works fine but I can't even install Apple DVD Player because it says something like It's not for this Mac! Or whatever it says! Rhino_G3, how did you install Apple DVD Player?
Ta.
- Paul

Hi,

I had the same problem. I have a G3 upgraded to G4 on which I had upgraded to a DVD drive. Since it was not an installed drive on a recognised system, I cannot install DVD player (I wonder why they are limiting us like that?)

Anyway, solution is to download a programme called Pacifist, then follow the instructions:

"Run Pacifist and open Mac OS X Install Disc1/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg. Expand the Package Contens and Click on DVD Player.app. Click on Install to install it. That's pretty much it. "

Andrew

Sorry can't help you there! I still use VLC for some DVD work but if I just want to watch one I use Apple's DVD player as it's much better. The latest VLC has some Interlace options you can try. Can't you use Apple's player?
- Paul

I have tried, but I get a message that this machine is not configured for the DVD player. Any suggestions? I have tried the Pacifist thing, but it still gives me the same message.

Dave

I was looking for a solution that wouldn't cost me $129. "Finding" Jaguar right now is not in the budget. I appreciate all your help, and I am going to try some of the other things that you have suggested in your related posts.

dave

Originally posted by newmacguy2
I was looking for a solution that wouldn't cost me $129. "Finding" Jaguar right now is not in the budget. I appreciate all your help, and I am going to try some of the other things that you have suggested in your related posts.

dave

..."find" because "finding" doesn't cost $129 :p ... That would be buying Jaguar :D ;)

:)

Originally posted by newmacguy2
I will keep trying. My ability to "find" things isn't very good.

Dave

Your inability to "find" stuff is the best thing can happen to Software Houses but it is TOO bad for your computing life :p :D :rolleyes: ;)

newmacguy2,

I was thinking about your choppiness problem when you use VLC. I know. . . I have no life (hangs head). But, since I live in my parent's basement, I have a lot of time on my hands.

Anyhow, did you set your display to the lowest possible resolution (640x480) at "thousands of colors" instead of "millions"?

Doug

By the way, guys. Let's avoid talking about the whole software piracy thing. MacOSX.com has strict rules against such stuff. Please see the board rules for details. If you can't find them, let me know (hint: top of page).

Doug

Yeah, hulk, you should know better. :mad:

Newmacguy2: What computer are you using? What are its specs?

Back