Firefox Should Have a Warning Label

Mikuro said:
I've been looking around Firefox's extension page, and I found a gem called Tab Mix Plus. It gives you a close button on every tab, plus a lot more. With this, Firefox's tab system skyrockets past Safari's. Finally I have the option to have links that open in a new window open a new TAB instead! (A feature I've previously seen only in iCab.)

This has me seriously reconsidering Firefox. Ohhh...here I go again.
Really! Interesting. Will definitely check out Tab Mix Plus. Thanks. :)

Although, having a link that opens in a new tab from a new window is a standard FF preference option. But I still want the extension for the purpose of giving each tab its own close button.

Amie said:
Really! Interesting. Will definitely check out Tab Mix Plus. Thanks. :)

Although, having a link that opens in a new tab from a new window is a standard FF preference option. But I still want the extension for the purpose of giving each tab its own close button.
Tab X is another Firefox extension which does exactly that and nothing more. Very simple and it doesn't alter the interface as much as Tab Mix Plus.

I've been using it for a long time.

https://addons.mozilla.org/addon.php?id=785

Mikuro said:
It's because Firefox is written with Carbon, whereas Safari uses Cocoa. Cocoa apps get a lot of things "for free", like spell checking. It might be possible to access these things from Carbon (I'm not sure), but it certainly takes work, whereas with Cocoa you'd have to go out of your way NOT to have these features. Most Carbon apps, like Firefox, AppleWorks, and even the Finder, don't have these features.

It's a pity there are still such clear differences between Carbon and Cocoa in practice.

i'm noticing this more and more. i long for a cocoa set of pro apps. i'm sick of these cross platform, hacked tacky and ugly applications that we pay through the nose for. yes they're good, but they aren't cocoa. they';re not as powerful ,as they should be. they're ported windows apps. look at maya. that's hideous.

I just installed Tab Mix Plus. Thank you, I love it! Two questions, though: 1) How can I get rid of the original FF default close tab button on the right side of my tab bar? I don't need it now that each tab has its own close tab button. 2) I want to use the crash/restore feature of Tab Mix Plus, and I have the boxes checked, but what do all those other options mean, such as Exit/Start? I don't see the word "crash" or anything like that that gives you the option of restoring all tabs/windows if the browser crashes. It's worded weirdly...

Amie said:
2) I want to use the crash/restore feature of Tab Mix Plus, and I have the boxes checked, but what do all those other options mean, such as Exit/Start? I don't see the word "crash" or anything like that that gives you the option of restoring all tabs/windows if the browser crashes. It's worded weirdly...
Just check the "Enable Crash Recover" box. Everything else is for managing tab sets under normal circumstances, like quitting Firefox normally. I have mine set to "Don't Restore" and "Don't Save" on launch/exit, so that it only remembers my tabs when it crashes.

Here's a tip: You can easily simulate a crash by forcing Firefox to quit ("Force Quit" under the Apple menu, or control-click on Firefox's Dock icon and press Option when you see the menu).

Lt Major Burns said:
i'm noticing this more and more. i long for a cocoa set of pro apps. i'm sick of these cross platform, hacked tacky and ugly applications that we pay through the nose for. yes they're good, but they aren't cocoa. they';re not as powerful ,as they should be. they're ported windows apps.
I actually blame Apple for this, not developers. Apple can't expect everyone to move to Cocoa. In fact, they didn't. That's why they made Carbon. But they've let Carbon rust and rot, and have not brought it up to par with Cocoa. They're perfectly happy to treat Carbon programmers as second-class citizens.

Cocoa is simply not practical in many cases — cross-platform programs being one. Carbon is a vital part of OS X. There's no reason Apple couldn't integrate things like automatic spell checking into Carbon. But they don't. They leave a wide gap between Carbon and Cocoa in terms of both technology and behavior.

I suppose you could say that this is part of a much larger issue that's been plaguing OS X since day 1: Apple no longer seems to care about consistency. (Yes, I will harp about consistency until the day I die! And I'll do it consistently. :) )
look at maya. that's hideous.
Yeah, but...name me one 3D app in the history of computing that wasn't hideous. Ray Dream came close, but even that hardly blended with the OS. It's really, really hard to make a good interface for a 3D program. They all suck, on all platforms.

I put the new universial version on macpro it loads in about 7 seconds with old versoin took 22 to 30 secs.

hawki18 said:
I put the new universial version on macpro it loads in about 7 seconds with old versoin took 22 to 30 secs.
Universal version ... of what? Firefox? PithHelmet? Safari? We were discussing a lot of different apps.

nixgeek said:
I believe he's talking about Firefox. There's a new version: 1.5.0.2
Oh. Yeah. I have that one. Installed the update a few days ago. One thing I've noticed is that the newest version seems to be a lot less buggy and a lot more stable than previous versions. I have not yet experienced one single crash. Knock on wood.

Back