Make the screen NOT dimm after a short amount of time...

System preferences/Energy Saver pref pane. Change the Sleep settings for a longer time delay for sleeping, which can be a separate setting just for the display. Click on the Options tab, and change Other Options for the screen dimming setting that you prefer.

The screen shouldn't dim if you have changed the settings in Energy Saver to stop screen dimming.
Does the same thing happen if you log in to a different user account?
This is a battery saving setting, so does anything change if you run strictly from the battery (disconnecting the power adapter), the default setting will dim the screen very quickly. In fact, the default setting means that disconnecting the power adapter will cause the screen to dim a small amount, which you can prevent if you prefer. Remember that the battery will drain more quickly if the screen is left at its brightest setting. If you turn off ALL the screen dimming settings, and turn off screen sleep, the screen should stay bright until you put your 'book to sleep, or shut it off.

If the screen still goes dim very quickly, even with the settings turned off, take to an Apple genius, or Authorized service, or call AppleCare for some help.

You should create an account for this purpose, which you can do through the Accounts pref pane.

How dark does the screen get? Is it just a little dim - or does the screen brightness completely shut off (you can see the icons/menus if you look carefully)?
If the brightness is off, you need to contact AppleCare, or take to an authorized service. If it does not go completely dim, have you tried resetting the SMC?
Turn off, and unplug EVERYTHING from the back, including the power cord.
Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
Wait at least 15 seconds.
Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time.
Reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.

If this reset does not change anything, contact Apple.
If you create a different account to try, Logout from your user, and login as the new account. This should have default energy saver prefs, and you can change those from your new account to see if any changes affect your problem.

If your energy settings are set to never sleep the monitor, that shouldn't happen. I'd call apple about a hardware repair.

I have a Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo and Im having a problem with the screen dimming on me after a period of inactivity. Id like to make it so that this doesnt happen or only happens when I want it to, i.e. when I turn it on.

Currently in my displays setting I have the "Automatically adjust brightness" disabld (unticked) and in energy saver I have the following;

Put the display to sleep when it is inactive for 1 hour (this is ok, it switches the display off as it should and what I want to happen)
In energy saver -> options - I have "automatically reduce the brightness of the display before sleep" set to off (unticked).

Despite this, the display still dims Is this built in behaviour by Apple to protect the hardware? Would resetting the PRAM help? Btw what is the correct method for this on a macbook - a google says opt+cmd+p+r but apples docs say to remove the battery and then hold down the power button. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319).

I did search before posting this but didnt come across a solution to my issue, can anyone help?

I hope you dont mind me posting here but Mario's issue seems to be the same as mine or at least very similar.

Thanks!

(Don't have to quote the _whole_ post, Mario.) ;) ...

On the subject: I've found that if you open a video in VLC and hide the app, the screen won't dim. Can be considered a VLC bug, but I've found it useful, since I don't want to change that preference just for an hour or two (I'd forget to change it back, probably).

Back