Yet another company is gobbled up by......... Apple?

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
From macminute.com:

Apple acquires Nothing Real

February 6 - 18:45 ET: MacMinute has confirmed with Apple that the company has acquired Nothing Real, whose high-end 3D compositing and animation titles, Shake and Tremor, have been used in such productions as The Lord Of The Rings. Additional details are unavailable at this time.

Eenteresteeng...

considering the fact that SJ owns pixar, and that macs are used for graphics and video this comes as no suprise :)

Apple still needs to buy Disney, based solely on the principle that Disney was going to buy Apple.

*nods sagely*

Good news. Everytime they buy one of these companies, they rehash it and refine it into a stellar product.

iCompositing and iTitling?

hehe... I don't know where they're going with this though... aftereffects is a really really solid application with a granite user base (myself included).

My hope is for realtime video compositing applications... ala quicktime VJ type ish that doesn't suck...

The answer just drop kicked me in the face:

They're going to augment Final Cut Pro's (comparatively) dismal compositing and effects engine...

That makes the most sense to me. They could also include some of the technology in Quicktime 6... which should be a HUGE upgrade...

it makes sense in the long run... added value to FCP by including a stronger compositing suite than Premier... which practically counts on people using After Effects...

So- it doesn't supplant AFX, it just unseats it from some of the lower eschelons of the compositing market...

Originally posted by googolplex
very interesting... next up microsoft! :) just kidding... i would stop using a mac if they bought MS!

Correction: You would stop using a Mac if MS bought Apple. Whereas Apple would terminate Windows and bring Mac OS X to PCs and make Microsoft's products actually GOOD, MS wouldn't do anything productive with Apple besides ejecting them from the computer market.

Wait, after thinking about that last statement, it occurs to me that ejecting Apple from the computer market isn't productive either. :p

shake and tremor are highly professional compositing systems, hard to operate but much more sophisticated than after effects. they focus mainly on highres film postproduction and feature floating point color depth. if they include this engine into fcp it would be incredible powerful.

As we all know Mr Wanker-but-knows-how-to-run-a-company Jobs owns Pixar too?

Why weren't G4's used to do the Final Render for Monsters Inc.?

They used Sun Microsystems.

Aren't G4's as fast as we/they'd hoped?

Also all of the software was on SGI systems probably using Solaris/NT/Whatever. But not OS X???? Seeing as Alias|Wavefront are coming to Mac saying that Mac OS are no longer shite, shouldn't Pixar do that too, seein as many know that it's Job's company too?

Well point number one.. when they designed monster inc and various... thecnology (3d i mean) wasn t eraly great on mac... YES it takes a while not 2 months to do that film...
and Jobs is very well known for using each company for their OWN benefit, and not just to help each other... if Jobs decided not to use macs.. there is a reason.. and a goooooood one.
I wish people stopped complaining on what they (Apple -Jobs) do wrong and start having faith in what happens..if the mac is as good as it is .. IS THANKS to Jobs......
Answering your question 3D on the mac...is getting started.. VERY well too.. with Maya and Lightwave giving more and more support... but .. remeber..only because Jobs runs Apple does not mean he HAS to use Apple to run Pixar. he chooses the BEST avaiable (at the moment) machine for the job.

By the way .. this is not a critique to ANYONE.. is just a small explaination.. with a little complain to those people who still ...after years.. have no faith in "the man"

this is excellent. the type of move apple needs to make in oreder to ensure mac video editors use FCP and not even look at Adobe's much weaker premier... If these features are incorporated into FCP, you'll start to see more and more midlevel and highend production workstations with Apple only setups.

Talk about a good reason to ditch Media 100 and Avid Xpress... This is that reason.

MacOS X is *starting* to cut into some of SGI's low end market for 3D rendering, etc... but the Mac won't replace SGI in the high end rendering department unless there is a major change in Apple or the technology used.

SGI specializes in that, Apple concentrates its focuses on other areas. Yes, it is a great OS, but there's a right tool for every job. The Mac is NOT the end all and be all of computing. Jobs know this, and professionals know this... the right tool for the right job.

The Mac has however definitely become a considerably more powerful and versatile OS in recent years, so it is definitely becoming more and more often the right tool... but it never will *always* be... that's a Microsoft attitude, and one that generally leaves you with something capable of doing a lot of things poorly.

Cheers,
Dak

Just a little note that I found out that no one else mentioned either...

Shake and Tremor, the applications made by Nothing Real, are not available for Mac... only Windows, and some Linux and UNIX flavors. I would totally laugh at the people who use these apps if Apple terminated the Windows/Linux/UNIX versions and only releases a Mac OS X version, as appleturns.com suggested (that's where I got this info). :D

I thought Nothing Real introduced an OS X version of Shake at MWNY 2001?

Anyway, Apple's definitely going after the pro-film video editing market. They've already basically pulled the rug right out from underneath Adobe when it comes to Premiere and it looks like After Effects too. iPhoto had considerably more image editing features in it before Adobe through a complete fit. What's next... Photoshop?

Actually... I did a little thinking about my last post and it's quite possible for Apple to move into SGI's territory... if they push for it... although they're obviously not there yet. But they're definitely well on their way. How long before we see a some rack-mountable computers coming out of Cupertino with a whole bunch of G5s in them? Apple has been working on network rendering... hmm.

Cheers,
Dak

Originally posted by Dak RIT
I thought Nothing Real introduced an OS X version of Shake at MWNY 2001?
They did, at least according to Macminute.
Appleturns.com is a wonderful and hilarious site, but you have to kinda take their disclaimer seriously: they are NOT a news site. There is a reason they make every source mentioned a link to the source itself: so you can read what was actually said if you want. Personally, if something sounds odd to me (like flat-out saying Apple bought a company for the source code to software not available for Mac) I will read the original source statement, and i suggest anyone else do the same. Keep in mind that i am not attacking simX; on the contrary, I generally find his posts to be helpful and/or insightful, and I have the greatest respect for the guy. I am just saying that Appleturns.com is a relaxing starting point, and don't take their word on anything serious (they would tell you the same, I'm sure). I love that site, i read it every morning at work, and vote in the VEVO poll almost religiously, I just wish i could get a T-shirt of theirs for free.....;) :p

Back